Mathematical Contest in Modeling
The Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) is an international contest where teams of undergraduates use mathematical modeling to present their solutions to real world problems. The competition challenges teams of students to clarify, analyze, and propose solutions to open-ended problems. The contest attracts diverse students and faculty advisors from over 900 institutions around the world. Last year, 6755 teams from 855 institutions
in eighteen countries participated in the contest. The next MCM will take place January 19-January 23, 2017.
The Department of Mathematics at Temple University organizes an information/practice session on October 19th, 2016, and administers the local MCM competition on November 10-14, 2016. Performances in the local competition will be used to determine the teams of students representing Temple University at the international edition of the MCM, January 2017. All undergraduate students are encouraged to participate in the local competition! Keep in mind that MCM is not so much about what you already know, but rather about what you can quickly learn in a new application area.
Interested students are encouraged to register to participate in the
information and training session for the competition that the Department of
Mathematics will hold on Wednesday October 19th, 2016, in Wachman Hall 617
from 5:00pm to 6:30pm. A limited number of seats are available in the room,
and these seats will be filled on a first registered basis. To register, send
an email message to Scott Ladenheim saladenh(at)temple.edu with the subject line "MCM training" containing your name and your major.
Here is the flyer.
- Wednesday, October 19th, 2016: Information/training session: 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm, 617 Wachman Hall (pizza will be served during the session).
- Thursday, November 10th, 2016: Temple University MCM starts at 5pm.
- Monday, November 14th, 2016: Temple University MCM ends at 4:30pm. Solutions(Electronic copy) are due by 4:30pm.
- January 19 - January 23, 2017: The winners of the Temple MCM 2016 represent Temple University at the International MCM 2017.
Instructions for the Temple MCM participants
- Participate in the information/training sessions we organize during the Fall Semester.
- Register your team by Friday, November 4th, 2016, 5pm: email the
list of your team-members to Yilin Wu yilin.wu(at)temple.edu (each team is composed of up to 3 undergraduate students.)
- The Temple MCM contest problems will be promptly emailed to you on Thursday, November 10, 2016, at 5pm.
- Spend the weekend building mathematical models, researching relevant literature and writing up your solutions. You can use all published materials, internet resources, and software. Credit whenever appropriate.You cannot discuss your work with anyone besides your team-mates.
- Turn in electronic copy of your paper to Yilin Wu yilin.wu(at)temple.edu by 4:30pm on Monday, November 14, 2016.
Some other MCM pages