Research activities and interests in the department encompass many areas of mathematics; below is a listing of the strongly represented areas in the department. Clicking on a person's name leads to their home page; clicking on the research group's name leads to the group's page.
- Datskovsky, Boris: algebraic number theory, analytic number theory, modular forms.
- Dolgushev, Vasily: noncommutative geometry,
homological algebra, category theory and mathematical physics.
- Letzter, Edward: noncommutative algebra.
- Lorenz, Martin: noncommutative ring
theory, representation theory, invariant theory, algebraic K-theory.
- Walton, Chelsea: noncommutative algebra and noncommutative algebraic geometry.
- Wang, Xingting: noncommutative algebras, Poisson algebras, noncommutative projective algebraic geometry, cohomology theory, and noncommutative invariant theory.
- Berhanu, Shiferaw: complex analysis, partial differential equations.
- Gutierrez, Cristian: partial differential equations, harmonic analysis.
- Mendoza, Gerardo: global analysis, manifolds with singularities, partial differential equations, differential complexes.
- Mitrea, Irina,
harmonic analysis, partial differential equations, and geometric
- Pesenson, Isaac: harmonic analysis on manifolds and graphs.
- Grabovsky, Yury: calculus of variations, continuum mechanics, homogenization, phase transitions.
- Klapper, Isaac: fluid dynamics, microbial ecology, biofilms.
- Gillian Queisser: numerical methods and scientific
computing, high-performance computing, applications in the life sciences with
a particular focus on neuroscience.
- Seibold, Benjamin: computational partial differential equations, numerical analysis, traffic modeling.
- Stanhope, Shelby: mathematical modeling, dynamical systems, parameter estimation, partial differentil equations.
- Szyld, Daniel: numerical analysis and scientific
computing, numerical linear algebra.
- Tierra, Giordano: modeling,
numerical analysis and simulations (efficient and accurate) for the study of
complex fluids and its applications in material and life sciences.
- Zhou, Dong: high order numerical schemes for
nonlinear Hamilton-Jacobi equations and fluid flow problems.
- Fu, Ser-Wei: hyperbolic
geometry, geometric group theory, geometric structures, low-dimensional
topology, dynamical systems, ergodic theory, billiards, and Teichmuller
- Futer, David: knot theory, hyperbolic geometry, low-dimensional topology.
- Rivin, Igor: geometry, dynamical systems, combinatorics, group theory, crystallography.
rules, geometric group theory.
- Stover, Matthew: low-dimensional geometry,
hyperbolic geometry, number theory.